Saturday, January 24, 2009

2009-Jan 6, 7, 8th Detroit to Dar es Salaam

Flights, and airports – mostly all of day one was wasted as we waited for an engine part for the AirBus 330. So my travel to Tanzania which ran through Amsterdam and Dubai - took me into day two and three.

The flight from Detroit was delayed 10 hours, which caused me to miss my connection in Amsterdam and then Dar es Salaam. I was re-routed the next day to Dubai. After a five-hour wait, I finally made it to Dar, though a day late. And, like the trip to Madagascar last summer, my main luggage did not arrive. But this time I was better prepared as I separated out my most important items and a small amount of clothing into my carry-on luggage. At least I knew I could get by now for a few days.

Hubert Heldner, the trip coordinator, met me at the Dar es Salaam airport, which gave us an opportunity to get to know each other and chat privately as we drove the 45 minutes to our guest house. Considering our first meeting, I can say that we will get along very well.



So now I’ve arrived and have an opportunity to meet the rest of the team. After several previous African adventures, I have experienced all manner of accommodations. I can say I am very pleased with our place considering how it could be – the food is excellent, and typical of a European standard with a Swiss flair.


Of the team, I am already well acquainted with rough dealers, Tom and Lisa from Vancouver (www.custom-cutgems.com), and of course my friends gem carver Sherris Shank (www.gemscapes.com) and photographer, Amy Baltroup of Michigan. The balance of the crew is Swiss, with the exception of Huan Toh from Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment